Re: Newby Advice please on - A/V distribution,CCTV & home PBX

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Newby Advice please on - A/V distribution,CCTV & home PBX
  • From: "the_home_automator" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 00:24:05 -0000

In my humble opinion the best P(A)BX for Home / small office use is
the Panasonic KXTA624.  Trouble is, its not cheap, basic PABX (3x8)is
nearly 400 notes plus VAT, and if you put options on it the cost goes
up, for example doorphones, CallerID, or more lines or extensions.
The best phones for it (7310E) are about 130 a piece (second hand 70-
95), though you can use any "normal" phone (or several other sorts of
Panasonic hybrid phones with less features) with it, you just get
less (and less sexy) features.  Oh, and voicemail is another big pile
of dosh.  (I've not got that - yet)

And its only worth having if you've got a family.

However, once you've got it, you'll wonder how you lived without it.

http://www.tlc-
direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Telephones_and_Accessories_Index/Telephone_Sys
tems/index.html

Then theres the software to make the thing remotely possible to
program (from Dimitry, http://www.pbxsoftware.com/kxta/index.shtml),
and finally overlays so it all looks pretty (www.overlaypro.com)

Yep, phone systems get out of hand just as quickly as any other item
of HA :-)))

--- In ukha_d@y..., "himindoors" <mikepe@h...> wrote:
> Coming near the end after 3.5 years of renovating a home.
> At the start I put in structured cabling CAT5e & coax everywhere.
> Now looking for the best products available now (things change
after
> such a time) to allow me to distribute & remotely control channel
> switching of TV, satellite & CCTV from my hub area in the attic to
> multiple rooms for viewing.
>
> With CCTV in mind I have 3 CAT5e cables & mains outside that I want
> to attach cameras to and have some sort of hub that then goes into
> the A/V distribution product (above). Any recommendations ?
>
> Finally any thoughts on a home PBX that can take homehighway and
give
> me 4-8 real extensions plus obviuosly support for internet & fax ?
> If you know of a better place to ask these type of questions please
> let me know.
> Thanks
> Cheers
> Mike