Re: Mail Servers... less OT :-)

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 10:28:51AM -0000, Mark Harrison wrote:
> Can anyone recommend me a good mail server...
>
> What I -really- want is a free Exchange clone... ie, it must have the following capabilities:
>
> 1: I can point Outlook at it
> 2: It supports subfolder on the SERVER
> 3: I can point a web client at it
> 4: It supports server-side rules to file messages meeting certain criteria
>
> Any ideas?

If your confident at tweaking with Unix/Linux stuff, I can't recommend the
following highly enough:

1)  Cyrus IMAP (a IMAP & POP3 mail server, which allows you to point
    Outlook at it
2)  IMAP is a server based mailbox protocol, all mail stays on the server,
    you down load copies to your client.  This means you can have server
    based folders etc
3)  IMP from the Horde project gives you a web frontend onto a IMAP mailbox
4)  Cyrus support sieve, which is a server based rules engine, can bounce
    msgs to people, file into folders etc

All of these are available in Debian as packags, which makes life simple.

As an MTA, I'm a sendmail guy, but your free to use exim/postfix etc

With projects such as amavis & SpamAssasin or Razor, you can bolt in
anti-virus and spam prevention.

The only down side is that IMAP support is pretty poor in most apps. but
you get used to it.

-simonm (E: simon@xxxxxxx W: +44 28 9072 5060 M: +44 7710 836915)
PowerPoint Ranger