RE: IR to Serial on a PC

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: IR to Serial on a PC
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:03:53 -0000

Thanks Mike,

I missed the serial bits in ACE - I guess you use a HomeVision event in
ACE?

I use Win2K server for all my HA apps - decided on this route as I'm
also running Exchange 2000 and IIS. Only trouble is I've run out of
serial ports (4) as I've got connections to Comfort, HV, Meteor and
something else I can't remember! Might go for a USB serial option as
I've had a few problems in the past with IRQ sharing and the serial
ports :-( + expandability would be better.

I run PC Anywhere on it and other PC's (my BT Satellite gateway) quite
successfully - shame W2K doesn't have a desktop sharing app that's
compatible with the XP desktop sharing tool (and works in the same
way):-(

Shame that Pioneer don't publish the serial protocol - seems rather
strange. My Panasonic plasma has the codes in the user manual and Onkyo
sent me a load of docs about their kit on request (excellent tech
support).

How are you getting on with your screen? I'm loving mine - just ordered
a load of Component cables from RGB Comms (broadcast cables hugely
cheaper than the audiophile rip off merchants!) + an RGB to Component
converter from rgbtosvideo.com. The Onkyo amp (989) has 3 component
inputs and switches between them.

Paul.