Re: Powermax Opinions

Quoting Philip Coombes <philip.coombes@xxxxxxx>:

> 4) The ability to run a second switch off the magnetic contact (as an<= BR> > entirely different zone) is very handy.

I have my doorbell wired to one of these. Having a light in the porch come = on
at night when there is a visitor is cool indeed.

> 5) The software which you can download looks quite handy. However you = need
> special cable to do it locally, which I've only seem bundled with the = s/w
> for around =A350! Actually it looks just like the only bit you really = need is
> an adaptor from 4 pins to an RJ11 socket and an RJ11<->DB9 cable= .

I believe you will in fact need a TTL to RS232 level converter. I dabbled w= ith
a generic circuit (using a MAX232 chip) I found on the net but had no luck.=
As the software is available to download, =A350 for some electronics which = (if
you knew what you were doing) should only cost a few pounds seems excessive= .
I would really like to be able to hook a PC to my system just so I could sa= ve
the configuration. I would hate to have to do it all over again!
I'm sure there are a number of people on the list who are in the same boat.=
Maybe we should get together, buy a connection kit and copy it.

> Going back to the questions you actually asked, I'm not really sure wh= at
> you
> mean when you talk about only sending X-10 when the alarm is disabled.=

The Powermax will send X10 on when the system is armed and off when disarme= d.
It will do this regardless of the 'toggle' setting.
I have also noticed that when an alarm occurs I get a continuious on/off on= the
next housecode?

> I've not got a remote keypad (do they exist for the PowerMax?)

I've never seen one. Scratch that, just noticed one on the TCA site
www.wireless-alarms.co.uk.

Ben,

I purchased my bell box and battery backup from TCA. The Powermax itself wa= s
>from CA
even before the recent price hike.

Found this outfit as well www.alarmdetection.co.uk says trade only but...
Also, it might be worth seeing if Laser have any converted US X10 interface= s
(if you arent in the EU ;-)) . You only need the Tx one. They are much smal= ler
than the XM10U and have a plug on a wire which made my installation much ea= sier
& tidier.

Justin.

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""=