Re: Labelling CAT5

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Labelling CAT5
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:29:26 -0000

> > Better still Neil, if you want to spend the money of course,
> > is one of the dedicated labelling machines from the likes of
> > Viking. I got one a short time ago and it is just so useful
> > for labelling cables and power leads etc, it's saved me loads > > of grief! They start at about =A330, the tapes are about a
> > tenner a pop and it actually prints onto a plastic
> > sticky-backed strip so it's ideal for the purpose.
> >
> I would add one word of warning here, this is what I did, and they look
> good and easy to read..... But and my renovation is what we
call "long
> Term" (8 years and counting) after while they pack up, I opened u= p a
> junction cupboard for my lighting system and with the exception of 2 all
> had fell off and had formed a nice pile in the bottom of the cabinet
I used Keith's coloured tape scheme for my cabling. However I have
used label printing elsewhere and found that it lasts a long time
(still there after 5 years) if you double the tape over the cable so
it sticks to itself. Also this makes it strong enough for pulling
reasonable distances without coming off and if you print the
number/text twice then you can read it easily from either side of the
cable.

One other tip, I used cat5 that had numbers every metre printed on
the sleeve. I recorded the numbers at either end of each pulled cable
so that I can now identify a cable within a bundle at any point in
the run. This is very useful if you ever want to take a drop off a
cable part way along (for example where using it for something other
than network).

Graham

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""