Advice needed on CCTV

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Advice needed on CCTV
  • From: "andrew_stanley68" <andrew@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:33:55 -0000

Hi

After my car was vandalised on my drive, I decided to install some
security cameras. I was already aware of the X10 equipment, and so
purchased the XCAM2 (PIR) with VCR commander (plus three others). I
have installed the first one above my garage.

The quality of the picture is pretty poor (sound is great!). It's very
difficult to make out faces as they are blurred and by the time the
VCR starts recording, the criminal could have done the damage and
scarpered (and it isn't date/time stamped). It also needs *huge*
amounts of light. I have a 500w floodlight lighting the drive, but
this isn't enough. Another floodlight has been installed above the
garage, but it's not wired up yet.

Maybe that would help, but even in bright daylight, the picture isn't
great. I know that colour is less sensitive than B&W.

So ... what's recommended? I like the size of the XCAM, and the
wireless is great, but the picture sucks. Is there a comparable
system? I love the idea of their MultiView software, but can't find
it over here. Does anybody stock it? Is there a comparable system to
this? I see Dynamic Home sell the Stealth Big Brother, but at =A3160,
plus cameras, it's a little steep.

In short, I don't know what to do. I have 4 XCAMs (one PIR) with two
receivers and a VCR commander. I can send this lot back and start
again or make this work. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

andrew