RE: THX and other matters

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: THX and other matters
  • From: "Phillip Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 21:06:25 -0000

I'm with Tim there Jerome, nicely put posting ... I was studio manager
for a couple of vocal studios in my previous job and your comments on
the wiring in studios are only too clear a memory for me!

I used Bryston amps and PMC monitors in the studios but I've played with Genelec actives in an AV context and they really are quite something!

I agree with your comments about the early work that THX certifcation
did on raising standards back in the ProLogic days but definitely feel
that the THX specs over recent years have been extended to keep up with
technology and new developments - and hence maintain a revenue stream
for Lucasfilm - rather than drive the actual quality forward.

In fact the only thing I would take issue with is the Quad ESLs not
being up to the job of serious AV use ( There's a smiley here in case
anyone is unsure of the presence of sarcasm ":-)" ) - I have a fr= iend
the other side of Winchester who uses Quad ESLs in a roughly 26 x 20ft
room to extremely good effect! Of course he is using some serious
subwoofer enclosures (home made) but otherwise the amplification is
quite modest (Quad power amps, Sony 9000ES processor) - hell, the thing
even runs with a phantom centre! There is *NO* hole in the front
soundstage from the missing front centre and the opening sequence from
T2 (and the usual test sequences) are reproduced with far greater
clarity than I have heard from all but about two or three seriously
expensive systems!

Phil

List of UKHA Groups here -