RE: THX and music replay...

>> It does strike me that the criticism of THX "because it
>> sounds pants for music" is a bit like criticising an MPV
>> because it doesn't have great torque.

> Whoah there Mark ... I have not said that THX sounds pants for music!

You wrote:

"Although that amp has the THX badging to show that it has been certified by Good Old George (TM) to meet the THX spec it actually sounds fairly pants when playing music."

... which, to be fair, says that THX _might_ sound pants for music, rather than that it always does

> Uh huh - but Lucasfilm *DO NOT* release those specs to the public so how
> do you know what you're buying into and whether you even *SHOULD* be
> buying into THX certified kit.

Intel do not release the technical design for the PCI north bridge. How does the public know whether a Dell PC is a good one?

1: By recommendation, 2: By trial

In the same way that, say, many companies will ONLY by PCs on MICROSOFT's Hard Compatability List, many people DO see value in an independant accreditation that something meets a baseline.

However, a personal trial wins every time.

> It comes back to listening to the kit and deciding whether it is suitable for your needs.

This seems at odds with your original post, which included such choice phrases as "in practice [THX] is a pile of steaming horse bollocks"