RE: THX and Arcam's reply to questions.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: THX and Arcam's reply to questions.
  • From: "Nick Tyson - The Edge" <nick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:39:18 -0000

Whilst they might claim that the THX spec is also an advantage for music,
Lucasfilm unofficially do admit that the specs do not necessarily imply an
particular performance benefit for music.

And the higher up the ladder you go, the further apart the ideal design
criteria become for music and movies eg on a high end speaker system horns
will tend to produce a better movie sound wheareas tweeters may perform
better for music. However even when you get to a system like the JBL
Synthesis (I think the price on the Synthesis 2 - the middle model not the
most expensive) which retails for around ?30k, which has both horns and
tweeters and switches between them depending on whether you're listening to
music or movies, still doesn't sound that great for music given its price
tag. It's not crap but I guess your expectations would be quite high when
you shell out that much for a system.

You're dead right that good music speakers generally also sound good for
movies but it doesn't necessarily work the other way round. It's just that
if you're not concerned about music performance you can get something that
sounds a bit more 'filmic' if that's a word for the same sort of money. But
its this very fact that something can be 'tuned' for surround performance
that makes them less good for music.

In summary, I think we agree.

Nick Tyson
The Edge