-----Original Message-----
From: Dr John Tankard [mailto:john@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 2:37 PM
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: [ukha_d] [OT] ms backup tape problem

I have been fixing a sick server and hit a snag.

Got a dead server from a customer, they don't have a receint backup and
no ups :-o

To cut a long story short, I have taken the stuffed disk and put it into
my server use MS backup and dumped it to dat DSS4 tape, log reports a
good copy.

I have re-installed w2kServer onto the disk, then installed arcserve
onto the new server then recoverd the system setup, and all directories.
Up to this point all ok. The server re-booted and looks almost normal, 1
problem sql server will not start, because it cannot see its data. (and
the sql agent cannot copy the data back because sql is not running) so
my plan was now to return the drive to my server use the msbackup to
copy back the sql data and logs.

Here is the problem

When I go into ms backup select restore, select the tape I want I see a
folder with a ? Mark in it x2 click does nothing but flash dlg box up so
fast I cannot see it, if I try a restore all again nothing. I am
beginning to think there is a problem with the backup set (the data on
the disk might be stuffed anyway but I would like to give it a go)

Any ideas

1) how to read the ms backup tape

2) use arcserve to restore the data in a form I can copy back, and then
start sql server.

I do have sql server 2000 sp3 on my server but the customers server
looks like sp1 to me, I don't want to restore customer master to mine
and stuff mine.

John