extending aerial cable...

  • To: "Home automation \(E-mail\)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: extending aerial cable...
  • From: "Nikola Kasic" <nikola@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 10:45:09 -0000

I have cable TV aerial socket in the wrong corner of the lounge. Therefore,
during re-decorating I put an extra socket where it should be and put cable
behind skirting.
I used extension cable, cut a connector, connected it to the socket and that
side is nice and tidy. However, near the old socket, cable is coming out of
the wall and I plugged it into the socket from the front side.
>From the new socket cable goes to splitter/amplifier from Maplins where it
splits signal to 4 devices (TV, video,TiVo and PC tuner card).
Image is rubbish on TV. However, if I plug it directly into old socket, then
image is fine. Cable guys that maintain Cable TV in the building told me
that I used low quality cable, which is true.
Now, when TiVo arrived it's the time to clean all that mess.

1. I plan to put proper aerial 75 Ohm cable with solid core. Current one is
stranded. Can someone recommend me good quality one (whatever that means)?
How will I recognize "good one" from "bad one"?
I need about 5 m. I suppose these are good
(http://www.hificables.co.uk/acatalog/Aerial_Cables.html), but have
connectors and probably are too expensive to be put in the wall.

2. Then, I need to open an old aerial socket, disconnect if from the cable
and connect two aerial cables together. Anyone has an idea how to do that?
Probably there's not enough room to put connectors on end of each cable, I
have very shallow box. I was thinking about preserving that socket, so to
split signal between that socket and the new one, but because it would be
just passive splitting, signal would degrade. Therefore, for the sake of
simplicity, I will just join cables there and put blank plate.

3. Instead of going from new socket into splitter, RF cable should go into
TiVo and from TiVo into video and from video into TV. Is that right? And how
to feed the PC TV card. Obviously I'll need some splitter to put somewhere.
Any recommendation about configuration and splitter?

Cheers,
Nik