Re: (very OT) Something about TV camerawork

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: (very OT) Something about TV camerawork
  • From: Jerome O'Donohoe <jerome@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 02:50:59 +0000

What you're talking about is the filmic effect applied to video to make
it look more like film.  Video shows 50 different images per second,
film is just 24 (or 25 when on TV) so it is much more jerky (and of
course, grainier.) If you have a look at eastenders, then heartbeat,
they are shot on the same medium (Digital Betacam) but EE is untreated,
and Heartbeat is treated. The process halves the resolution of the
picture (it interpolates the lines from the 2 fields that make up a
frame) but gives it that more juddery motion like film, it has the
effect of distancing you from the action and making it seem more
unreal.  See the TV newsgroups in google under "filmic effect" and
you'll see all the moans from techies and viewers about this technique.
And yes, friends is shot on 35mm film, but 3 perfs per frame, not 4 as
is usual for 35mm (saves film, they only use about 45-50% of the frame
anyway).

HTH

jerome