Re: Roomba Vac Review Now On-line!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Roomba Vac Review Now On-line!
  • From: "moose_mark" <moose_mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 17:19:39 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark McCall" <Mark@L...> wrote:
> Comments from another user now posted below the review...
> http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article.php3?story_id=1077

That was from me; I was in the US this week on business in North
Carolina.  Unfortunately all three Brookstones in the Raleigh area
had sold out all their stock (the one in Crabtree mall on Sunday had
a demo version at 15% off but I wanted a new one).  Sharper Image
who also stock the Roomba didn't expect stock until mid November.
Fortunately on Tuesday I was up in Washington for a day trip and the
Brookstone in the airport (the only Brookstone in DC) had just
received three units that morning, so I couldn't resist it.  I'd
already checked into my flight so it had to go hand luggage and the
security folks doing the XRay were amused (but fortunately didn't
want to open it and go through it).  The flight from Washington to
Raleigh was on a tiny 30-person plane and the Roomba wouldn't fit so
it had to get checked in at the gate, something that was worrying -
would it survive the rough handling, would it get stolen.  It came
back to me with the box a little worse for wear (battered corners
and soaked with rain), but internally intact.  The complete box just
fitted inside my suitcase for the journey back, and at $200 was just
under the customs limit for the UK.

I've been using the charger via a 220v-110v convertor I already
have.  The wall adapter that comes with the Roomba was giving me 29
volts with no load anyway - it's not a regulated supply, so I'll
probably stick with this until the rapid charger is available.

Now I just need to justify buying one of those Xcam transmitting
cameras so we can watch it zip around the house.

Mark