From: Rob Mouser [mailto:rmouser@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 1 November 2002 10:22
To: Ukha
Subject: [ukha_d] OT (Sorry) Server Upgrade

Hi All

I was wandering if there was a knowledgeable server engineer amongst us?

I've been roped in to helping a friend upgrade one of his servers. His
current set up is:

1)       Server 1 - NT Small Business Server v.4.0 acting as the PDC

2)       Server 2 - NT Server v4.0 Apps Server running a dedicated piece
of software.

His SBS box is a little old and he is replacing it with a new Dell unit
running 2000 SBS.

We know that his dedicated insurance software runs completely from the
dedicated NT box, but to be sure we mailed the support team of the
software company to ensure that changing and upgrading the PDC would not
cause the software any problems. Their reply was as generic as I had
imagined it would be:

""There is no software reason why your assumption should not be correct.
You'll need to watch our for domain permissions, DCOM and racmgr32 etc
settings if you are changing the domain controller.""

Can anyone tell me what his is getting at with DCOM and racmgr32. I
don't really know what they are or what he is getting at, a search on
the MS technet did not help me much either.

Anyone here that could help?

Many thanks

Rob Mouser

rmouser@xxxxxxx <mailto:rmouser@xxxxxxx>