RE: Infrared Remote Control

Hi Neil,

actually, after I'd hit "send" on that last post, a "Homer
Simpson" moment
came over me... - if you're using momentary switches to "press"
buttons on a
remote, then why have a VIOM in the equation at all? - why not just open up
the remote and solder the wires from your momentaries straight onto the
appropriate contacts in the remote...

- might actually sound easier than it really is - depends on the remote
really, - I imagine most will have rubber membrane keypads and might be
difficult to solder extra wires to. (might be difficult to even identify
the
appropriate place to solder them to...) - but this issue would be just the
same if you were using a VIOM anyway...

Then you can free your VIOM up for some other use....

Paul G.

>From: Frost Neil <Neil.Frost@xxxxxxx>
>To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Infrared Remote Control
>Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:49:30 -0000
>
>Thanks Paul,
>
>Yes, you can assign an input to operate an output, I think it sticks 5v
or
>something on the output (or removes it)...
>
>I think I understand.....
>
>The output for say input one would "press" the source button
on the
>URC....etc
>physically you (and my electronics is about as good as my ability to
fly
>unaided...) remove the button / micro switch whatever and just solder
the
>output wire to where the button is....
>
>I would however need to find a cheap URC that cycles the source rather
than
>separate buttons. OR, and I can't remember if this is possible, assign
1
>input to say 4 outputs and that cycles.......
>
>Any recommendations for a cheap URC that I could destroy.... :-) ?
>
>Neil

IIRC
>the
>
>output operation is pretty highly configurable in terms of the
duration,
>the
>
>delay etc...
>
>Taking this a step further, it should therefore be possible to graft a
VIOM
>directly onto a piece of kit, so the the VIOM outputs operate certain
>functions directly... - you could try to graft it directly onto the
source
>components, or perhaps it would be less risky to graft it onto a cheap
URC
>so that the VIOM "presses" the buttons on the remote to
operate the kit...

>Just my initial thoughts....
>
>Paul G.
>

> >From: Frost Neil <Neil.Frost@xxxxxxx>
> >To: "HomeAutoGroup (E-mail)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
> >Subject: [ukha_d] Infrared Remote Control
> >Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:40:47 -0000
> >
> >I'm nearing completion of sorting out my bathroom, knocked toilet
and
> >bathroom into one, re-tiled etc......
> >
> >I used Paul Gordon's idea of having momentary switches connected
to a
>VIOM,
> >plugged into the serial port of a dedicated pc. The pc is running
Girder