RE: Digital Audio Switcher

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Digital Audio Switcher
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:08:48 -0000

Rob,

    This is very much a solution aimed at just switching audio signals that
are originating as a digital source, e.g. the output of a CD, DVD, SliMP3,
Audiotron,  or some digital TV boxes e.g. Sky+ or the Nokia units. The
output is then fed into a suitable amp that has a digital input (most modern
AV amps). The switch handles both stereo and Dolby encoded multichannel
audio from reading the spec. The AV amp would have to handle the decoding to
analogue and of course the amplification and distribution to speakers. I
have found that digital cables (coax) can be quite long without any
noticeable signal degradation. If you did use the switcher to source to 3
different amps as it would allow then volume control has to be provided by
the amps - there is no level control within the switcher.

    Most AV amps do not have multi-room capabilities with some exceptions,
Denon and Harman-Kardon for example. When they do handle this multi room
set-up they often only provide a second line level output which has
individual source selection meaning that you may need a second amp (and a
KAT5 link). The 7 channel AV amps now appearing have started to allow
re-assignment of speaker channels to second, or more zones. The Denon A1SR
for example. Often two digital sources can not be assigned to different
zones though as there is only one decoder in the amp. Often a tape output
pair can be used to provide a separate zone.

    One of the other applications for these switches is for jukebox type CD
players. If you had two jukeboxes (or more) then you have to manually switch
the amp between them dependant on which one you were using (if using the
digital outputs). This switcher does away with that in that it autoselects
the source for you depending on which CD is playing. If you have a big CD
collection that is in some way automated then this was a solution. The
Nirvis DXS was the product made to complement the Slinke interface which
allows connection, cataloguing and control of Sony CD changers from a PC or
web interface. This is not as easy as it sounds as a paused digital source
e.g. a CD still generates a bitstream and so appears active to most other
switchers.

    If you are after audio and video matrix switching then you need ( in
fact we all need ) the KAT5 switcher !!!!

    In my set-up here I have several matrix switches RGB/Component (4x8),
S-Video(4x4), Video (8x8)(6x1), CCTV (8x2)(10x1), Digital audio DXS (12x8)
and Audio (32x32)(20x2)(12x2) - divided as needed to stereo or multi
channel. I could get rid of them all (except perhaps the digital) with one
or more KAT5 units depending on the number of channels the final unit may
provide. Best of all control would be on one unit and one protocol ! At the
moment it's a nightmare. Mistake I've got so many - I bid in three
overlapping eBAy auctions to win one and won all three.  I don't use them in
anywhere near this configuration but that's their capability. I'm going to
talk to Keith soon about some custom KAT5 modules to route my KAT5 stuff
through them too although this introduces a level of unnecessary conversion.

    Kevin