RE: Webcams

> I think you've hit the nail on the head there ... if you are running
> power, why not just run Cat5 as well?

Who said I need to run in power cables?
What if power is already there?

> Wireless may be cool but wireless for wireless sake is just a waste.
> Where it would be useful it to monitor your shed/garage etc where you
> would just have power and nothing else. For a home however, I can't see
> a point.

Why waste a good Cat5 socket when I don't have to?
One of the sayings on this group is "You can never lay enough CAT5 cable".
With that in mind, if I don't need to use a CAT5 socket then I won't.
I already had to run in another 6 points to the lounge (despite having 8
there already) because I underestimated the amount I'd need/found new uses
for the cable I didn't know existed (KAT5).
Finally, I have better things to do with my time than waste it on running
extra CAT5 cable - I'd rather pay the few extra quid and spend that time
doing something more constructive/enjoyable.

Whether or not wireless is "just a waste" is down to personal preference.
I don't want to waste my life laying pointless cables for the sake of it so
to me, it is NOT a waste.

Why is this turning into a wired v wireless thread?  Brian asked if anyone
was interested in webcams.
I said I was interested in the wireless one.  I didn't start a debate on the
merits or otherwise of wireless.
Lets not start another APS-gate eh chaps?

Tony

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
Regulated by the Financial Services Authority