Re: FIRM Pics + Questions

Hi Shane,

Thank you very much for your encouraging words.

>... Hopefully a few more questions (probably more for Dan) might help
> me understand how far away I am - hoping you're not getting tired of the
> questions !
> 1) In order to get IR commands to say AV equipment in a cabinet I would
> need not only IRM & FirM but Auto8it, to do event processing effectively
> - is that correct ?

If you need event based processes, then you need AutoM8it to do it.
With standalone IRM application you get the whole functionality, but not an
event engine.
You still can send any command you want(from the application of from a web
interface), learning new commands, but to define let's say.. macros based on
events, then you need AutoM8it to do it. I do not intend in the near future
to make my application work with other home management systems.

> 2) In order to use IR commands as an input to a PC controller (to
> control the Linet (lights) network)I would need LIRC.

Why?? You can build your own interface in a couple of minutes. Then use my
infrared plugin for monitoring infrared signals. Zoning is supported in my
standalone application and in the infrared input plugin too.
I think that you have understood something incorrect.
With only AutoM8it, FirM and IRM you can do anything infrared related... no
need for something else.
Lirc is only something compatible at the interface level with my application
and this is all... In the near future you will be able to import Lirc
configuration files in my application too.

> Unfortunately
> that does not support zoning i.e. where did IR come from ?

Fo Lirc/Winlirc is true, but my application support it for both send and
receive.

> It looks like
> I need something in between LIRC and IRM or what I suggest in 3) below.

No.. read the last answer. You don't need LIRC to operate it.

>3) If answer to 1) is yes, then is the IRM API open ?
I do not intend to open the API, just to keep it as a freeware (as long as
possible).

> That is, could I
> interface it to something else other than Auto8it for the event
>processing e.g. a socket interface to another controller, or xAP I guess

xAP is on the way as a plugin for AutoM8it.. ask Jim about that.
xAP is on my list too for compatibility. Unfortunately, my free time is not
enough to read all I need about xAP.

> 4)Alternatively, My Linet network is controlled by a Linux PC.  How
> difficult would a port of IRM to Linux be Dan - perhaps not the user
> interface but the basic decoding and encoding side of it.
Unfortunately, my Linux skills does not permit to port the application there
and I have no plans for the near future to develop it under linux.

> The user
> interface and setup side of things could still be done as a Windows app
> and simply transfer that information using config files that the Linux
> "transport" code could read.  Not asking for you to do this Dan - just
> an opinion on how difficult it might be given current code structure and
> your willinginess for perhaps someone to do it ?

I can do this.. just give me more details in how we can interconnect things
(protocols, etc.) and I will do the best to make it available for your
interface.
As I understand by now, your application use Lirc (software-linux and
hardware) to read infrared commands and then make them available on the Lirc
server. It is true? If yes, I do not intend to do something similar (as an
IRM server). If you want events, then you can use AutoM8it for that.
A good idea for you is to try to build an output plugin for your interface,
then everything will work together.

> Realise these are MY problems, again you guys have done a great job to
> solve things you are motivated to solve and really appreciate that.
> Hopefully answers to the above will give me an understanding of how much
> work I would need to do to fit it to my application.

If you can point me to a source of information related to what your
application does, then I will be able to help interconnecting them.

Thanks,
Dan