Re: PIRs & Sensors dual wiring

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: PIRs & Sensors dual wiring
  • From: "PatrickLidstone" <patrickl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 10:41:47 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mick Furlong" <hiltoneltd@y...> wrote:
> Simon
>
> I am thinking of having a pretty standard monitored alarm system
and rather
> than try and make it pass events to a PC or HV I was hoping the
signals
> could be split at source.
>
> What exactly are the issues with doing this via a single relay?

As I think you know, Mick, I did exactly what you described in my
previous house. *But* my alarm was not monitored. In my case, I
simply used a PC digital IO board interface in parallel with the
switched output from each sensor, terminated at the alarm panel. It
worked a treat.

Monitored alarm systems place an emphasis on reliable installation.
Any direct connection to the PIR output's could hypothetically be
used to disable/bypass the alarm panel. It's also possible that a
poorly installed/designed interface could induce false alarms in the
control panel. These issues can be avoided by electially isolating
the alarm panel, PIRs and computer interface - through the use of a
double pole relay. I suspect that a Nacoss installer would insist on
this approach - and Nacoss approval is a pre-requisite of being
connected to a monitoring service, at least in the UK. (Perhaps with
the exception of Intamacs service?).

Patrick