From: "Ray Barnett" <lists@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2002 10:23 AM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Showshifter vs. Tivo - ReplayTV wins?

My limited understanding is that the sky+ box records the MPEG2 stream
direct from the satellite signal, so the video is not REcompressed by the
sky+ box. Consequently you'd get the same quality as if you watched the
satellite channel live. TIVO does its own compression, and hence would
recompress the Sky output, which potentially could reduce image quality.

It's an academic argument for me though - we don't have Sky full stop in our
house simply because I cannot stand the awful MPEG2 artifacts on their
output. IMHO terrestrial TV compressed by TIVO is superior in quality to
Sky. And since getting TIVO, we now have more recorded TV than I can
possibly watch in a week.

Ray.