RE: Audiotron vs Rio Receiver - Round 2

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Audiotron vs Rio Receiver - Round 2
  • From: "Tony Butler" <tony@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 20:38:23 +0100

> Tony,
>
> Thanks for the comparison.

No problem

> One question - how does the Audiotron get files from the server? After=
> all, there must be _something_ running server-side to allow it to
share...
> Is it a standard Windows share?

It's a standard windoze share.  The tron can store a share level
password for a win 98 type machine and a userid & password for an
NT/2k/XP box.

By default, it searches all network shares it can find for any music
files when you turn it on.  You can set it to only look at specific shares if you wish.
Also, a number of people have written TOC generators.  IF the tron fin= ds
a TOC file, it reads that as the list of available files rather than
doing a full network search - means you're in action in seconds rather
than minutes if your collection is large.

> I disagree, however, about the main advantage of the Rio being size -<= BR> I
> think it's price, and on that basis, the built-in amp does serve a
useful
> purpose. It means that I can outfit a room with a sound system for
=A3200.
> =A3130, say, on a Rio, =A370, say on a pair of speakers. =A370 will, a= fter
all,
> buy me something like a pair of B&W 601 Series 2s second-hand.

=A3130 assumes you can either get a tiger direct special or another water damaged deal.  Wouldn't it normally be more like 175 for a Rio?

> By comparison, outfitting a room with an Audiotron, costs about =A3450= -
> =A3300 for the Audiotron, =A375 for the aforementioned 601s, and =A375= for
an
> amp.

I am getting the trons for =A3245 including vat etc etc, so it's not as
dear as you think!
Also, I was surprised at how bad the built in amp sounded in the Rios -
as a man with some decent kit yourself, I'm surprised you haven't
noticed that.
Adding an external amp to improve the sound brings your price up to 130
+ 75 + 75 =3D 280 as opposed to 245 + 75 + 75 =3D 395.  Still dearer o= f
course, but not by as much as you suggest.
Of course, if you're happy with the quality of the built in Rio amp then it's a moot point.  Bringing them closer in line sonically, you're sti= ll
looking at 115 more for the audiotron.

> I have NO DOUBT that the Audiotron is a superior bit of kit - my
ideal,
> however, would be an Audiotron in the bedroom (where the main system > lives), maybe a second in the sitting room, but Rios elsewhere...

You could easily mix and match Rio's with Audiotrons if required as
there is no server side software that might conflict.

I've got one AT and a second on the way.  I bought a Rio for compariso= n
and with the thought that it might go into a less important location.
I'm not so sure I want to do that now given how unimpressed I was with
the built in amp.
I was however, as I said in my original email, using pretty kack
speakers.
I used the same kack speakers for the A/B test today, but I was only
looking for relative differences between the two systems so it didn't
matter so much.
I might try the built in amp with a better set of speakers to see if
that compensates a bit for the dodgy amp.

As a man with a decent bit of kit yourself, I'm surprised you've been so happy with the Rios - or are you using external amps in the main
locations and the baby is too young to complain about the one in his
room? :D

Cheers.

Tony

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or