Re: Tivo urban legends

You can tell the relative age of your machice from parts of the serial number.  Might be worth comparing your with someone elses that works to see if this is particular to older ones or newer ones?

M.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 3:00 PM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Tivo urban legends

I've just tested it. My ADSL connection is a wires only install, using an ASUS AAM6000EV router.

Tested as follows:

Plug in laptop = ADSL works.
Dial out from laptop - connect at 46kbps = ADSL works.

Plug in TIVO (using exactly the same cable for reference) = successful pings to a remote machine drop to about 80%, web surfing no longer works.
Dial out from TIVO = ADSL line loses sync, no Internet connectivity at all.
TIVO finishes call = ADSL line still has no sync.
Unplug TIVO from phone line = ADSL line resyncs.

Draw your own conclusions, but mine is that Tivo does something unpleasant to my ADSL connection, and means I cannot leave Tivo plugged in for longer than it takes to download programme guide data.

Note for people keen to praise or slate Tivo: it means I have an easy justification for the £45 it will cost to add a web interface to Tivo in the form of the Turbonet card :-D

Ray.