Re: Re: Tivo vs ShowShifter - more fuel for the fire

> This really isn't a big deal IMO & has been poorly
> reported/sensationalised in this piece. The sampler episode described
> appears as an extra entry on the main menu. I was a bit taken aback
> when I first saw it, but then realised that it might actually be a
> good thing. My TIVO viewing habits are such that I now *never* sit
> down to "watch TV", only to watch something that has recorded. That
> inevitably means that I rely on word-of-mouth to hear about new
> programmes that might interest me rather than happening to stumble
> across them. If TIVO push the *occasional* promo programme at me,
> it's not intrusive, and I can decide within the first few minutes of
> viewing whether or not its worth watching - really no harm done.

Which is fine, but...

TiVo have reserved space on your hard drive for this stuff. Enough to record
at least 30 minutes at Best quality, whether that's your default setting or
not. This space is there on your disk, but you aren't allowed to use it for
your own recordings. It's TiVo's!
This time it was a cr*p sitcom. Next time it may be adverts, or worse,
Coronation Street. :-(
You can't delete it (without using backdoors). It stays on your main menu
for as long as TiVo decide to make it stay.
If you happen to like it, you can't even decide to keep it!
It ignores your suggestion settings, so even if you have suggestions turned
off and pause a program to go and make a cup of tea, or whatever, it could
have changed channel in your absence to a program you hadn't set up and
weren't interested in.
This particular recording contained strong language from the start (there
was even a warning about it on BBC2 before the program), but this was
available to view from the main menu without parental controls.
There's another scheduled for this coming wednesday and that's unlikely to
be the last of it.
I just want to be able to opt-out and I find the whole thing very annoying
indeed. This is IMHO *not* what TiVo should be doing.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor