RE: Showshifter vs. Tivo - the final score, Sky + Wins

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Showshifter vs. Tivo - the final score, Sky + Wins
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 00:24:44 +0100

Gotta jump in here a second Mark.

Remember most of us have a server running 24x7 anyway. all I did to add SS<= BR> to my curent setup was change the graphics card in my server from a no-name=
to an ATI AIW 128.

Showshifter has some issues on my server, so It's not a perfect example, bu= t
the point of the example is the same: The SS box does not need to be
dedicated.

Thing is, even at that, I suspect it could be done quite easily. I routinel= y
build sub =A3300 1Ghz PC systems for clients.

my main gripe is that Neither Tivo nor SS actually do what I want.

I want the dumb useability of a VCR, which Tivo seems much better at, but I=
also want to be able to sit at my PC watching what I have "taped"= in a
window whilst I surf. I experimented with SS straight to AVI, and it's as buggy as hell (in previous builds), but then Tivo doesn't seem able to do i= t
at all...

Personally, I suspect that a PC solution will be the way to go, Simply
because I can't see the "content industry" ever allowing a device= which
would meet my needs to actually come to market. just witness the hell that<= BR> replayTV are going through...

Ian.