RE: ShowShifter vs. TiVo

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: ShowShifter vs. TiVo
  • From: "Don McAllister" <donmc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 20:11:42 +0100

Oops..  just posted this on the TurboNet group, Best post it here as well:-)

Well then, looks like it's cracked then. Managed today to get my first
viable SVCD from a TiVo extraction with audio and everything :-) Quality
looks good!! It produces very stable mpeg files that are viewable via
PowerDVD and pretty much every player I've thrown it at ie WindowsMedia
Player, ATI media player, Real Player, etc. The problem with the mp2
extraction using the TiVoapp package was just too flaky although nice and
simple.

The downside is the method I had to use is that it's pretty laborious and
processor intensive but it does seem to produce excellent results.

I can't take any credit for it, but by using various combinations of crib
sheets and help from the ExtractStream forum I seems to work. One of the
main problems was that 90% of the Tivo extraction tools are meant for US
Tivos not UK PAL TiVos. Apparently the streams are different and
consequently need to be handled differently.

I'll do some more playing over the weekend and write up a complete breakdown
of the steps I went through. Be warned - fast PC and some overnight batch
running will be required :-)

Cheers
Don