RE: Re: ShowShifter vs. TiVo

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: ShowShifter vs. TiVo
  • From: "Nikola Kasic" <nikola@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 16:14:25 +0100

Digiguide subscription was £5/year, when I paid it few months ago. TiVo's is £120/year which is not comparable really.
What annoyes me the most with TiVo is that most of the people do some hack on it to be able to use it the way it suits them like HDD upgrade, network connection, using it on analogue port of ADSL line etc. In all those cases you are breaking the warranty and TiVo doesn't want to support it, so you are basically in the same level like with any PC solution where you rely on support from friends, forums, usergroups etc.
Then, with TiVo, if you cannot fix it, or make it work, you lose your £200 subscription (if you went to that option, but most people ultimately will because it's cheaper). Also, you lose your box because you cannot use it for anything else (maybe recover HDD).
With PC, if ShowShifter doesn't work the way you like, you still have your PC, you can sell it to anyone or use it for other things, and you lose £5 for digiguide subscription, which you can still use on your PC without SS, like most people do, so you don't lose anything.
So >from limited and any diversion is not supported.

TiVo, I would like it to work would be with network support and to last, let's say 5 years.
That would cost me (List Price) £299 + £200 subscription + £60 TurboNet = £560

If I go from scratch with ShowShifter = £35, Digiguide = £5/year x 5 years = £25, together makes £60.
Therefore there are still £500 to build PC that will be small, silent and run these two pieces of software.
Via motherboard costs about £100, has network, sound, TV out etc., case, HDD and the rest can be found for the rest.
Therefore, there should be no problem building such system on Windows platform. Support should also be no problem, if you just say that you support it only if users don't install anything aside.
I think that it would be equally reliable in that case. Problem with PC's crashing  due to software problems is because people install all sorts of programs on PC. If you install just 2 programs and they work fine first day, it's very likely that they will work very long.
In production environment at work, I have PCs that run their software for years without restart, but nobody installs anything on them except virus updates, time sync and similar things.
It seems that it's just a matter of time when Microsoft will come up with something like TiVo. X-box has basically the same concept, PC with pre-determined harware configuration.
Cheers,
Nik