Re: ShowShifter vs. TiVo

> > > But is it changing your Sky box for you?
> > I take it SS cannot do this?
>
> It can with adons, but if your PC is in a different room that open a > whole new set of problems.

I am aiming to use my PC to control every IR controllable device in the
house, so I'll have repeaters where needed.  Eventually, all the sourc= es
will be in Node 0 along with the SS PC, and just the DVD and VCR will be in=
the front room (TV too, of course!).

> > > Can you control it from an IR remote?
> > For me, that's immaterial, as I do audio from the Fujitsu already= (or at
> > least, I will do when I fix the wireless card).
>
> I used to use my laptop to do that.  The Mrs was NOT interested i= n
> booting up a PC to control another PC to watch Eastenders!

SWMBO was very impressed when I demod the WinAmp plugin she can use.  = Once I
get the wireless networking going, she'll be happy to use it, especially as=
the Fujitsu wakes up in just a few seconds.

> > I take it SS lacks season passes?
>
> Yes.

Shame.

> Nope.  It does the PAUSE thing, but the quality is awful.

Hmmm, that's a *big* minus.

> > > Does it record suggestions for you?
> > I'd be surprised if it could.
>
> Why?

Well, it relies on Digiguide for the information.  Thinking about it, = it's
not so absurd, as you only need a keyword search.  Perhaps it should b= e
suggested for a future release?

> > > Is it silent?
> > My machine runs in a different room,
> So did mine, there's the control issur then as above

Agreed, but my long-term plans cater for that.

> > The big question though, is "Does SS cost =A310 a month?&quo= t;
>
> I have a lifetime sub, so I'm "out" for 400 quid.  The = PC cost more than
> that.

It's what you have already, that makes the difference.  My PC set me b= ack
around =A3100 as I bought it bit-by-bit secondhand.  If I were to sell= it, I'd
not get enough to buy a Tivo, and I'd lose a PC which could be put to use for something.  As it is, I cannot afford Tivo, so SS is my only optio= n
(AFAIAA).  I suppose what it boils down to is that SS is a great repla= cement
for a VCR whereas Tivo is something more than that.  I have to agree t= hat I
would purchase Tivo if I could afford it, and wouldn't even consider SS.&nb= sp; As
it is, I'll install SS and see what it can do for me.  Thanks for the<= BR> constructive input.

Andy

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""
3D""