Re: Craplins Book PC help required

> I know some of you were conned at the beginning of this year by Paul
Gordon
> into spending more money on yet another BARGAIN.
>
> I was one of them, and became the proud owner of a Book PC.  It's been
> happily running Windows 2K Server ever since on a Celery 533 and 256MB
RAM.

> Tuesday I ordered 2 x 256MB PC133 RAM from eBuyer (blame Paul again) to
make
> it faster (was struggling and spending loads of time swapping).
>
> Installed it fine, but will the bugger recognise it?  Will it heck.  I've
> booted it - but it only sees 256MB instead of 512MB.  Removing 1 DIMM
> results in it seeing 128MB.  This is weird - I tried a stick in another
> machine and it correctly recognises 256MB.

James,

I have a similar problem with my Via Mini-ITX motherboard. It won't
recognise the stick of unbranded 512Mb PC133 memory I put in it, instead it
will just report it as 256Mb. Putting the same stick in another motherboard
and it works as expected. So, dodgy motherboard I thought and have sent it
back to the distributor who today told me they used 2 different branded
PC133 sticks of 512Mb memory and they both work as expected!  I think they
keywords in this story are 'branded' and 'unbranded'. Is yours by any chance
the latter?

> Elite (Book PC manufacturer) were most unhelpful and told me I had to
speak
> to Craplins.  I'm not paying 50p a minute to Craplins for help that is
> probably as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
>
> According to Elite site (which is crap), my BIOS is the latest.

And the Via motherboard doesn't even have any updates on its drivers/bios :)

> Any ideas anyone?

Maybe we should try a swap?

Q.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor