RE: OT: Nominet (.uk) to force the publication of net users home addresses

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT: Nominet (.uk) to force the publication of net users home addresses
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 19:46:29 +0100

Robert Chasmer wrote:
> Not sure if you've all seen this but could upset some of us,
especially as
> it could give theives directions to our Home-Automated Homes.
>
> Basically Nominet is intending to make available the personal
> home addresses
> of all internet users that have their own .uk domain name.

Many registrars e.g. .com have always done this and Nominet have always
reserved the right to. I am only surprised it has taken them this long.

> Internet privacy
> is and always has been very important.
> Under these changes anyone will be
> able to track down personal details of the owner of a website or email
> address and pay them a visit *IN PERSON* without any of the protection
> computer or telephone might normally provide.

Under existing technology anyone can use a phone book or electoral role to
track down anyone whether or not they own a web site and pay them a visit
in
person or continually call them on the telephone without a computer
anywhere
in sight. :)

My address has been on whois reports for tlds for years with no untoward
effects whatsoever, not even so much as spam! My phone number in the
telephone directory causes me many more problems from unsolicited phone
calls to unsolicited snail mail while the electoral role listing leads to
other equally unwelcome solicitations.

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill to be honest. But if it
concerns you, just get a PO box. I meant to do this years ago for privacy,
but never got around to it. It is not much money to open one, I just don't
see much point any more. Nominet also  suggest a PO Box as an option on
their site.

Mark.