All your whole-house-audio are belong to me!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: All your whole-house-audio are belong to me!
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 15:52:40 +0100

Well, this is the most SWMBO-compliant thing I've ever done.  My Veronica
arrived on Saturday morning (pity only one arrived, as I ordered two!), and
I promptly attached a PP3 to test with the MP3 server.  All seemed to work
OK, so I swiftly soldered on a HDD power extension cable and plugged it into
the PSU of the server.  It works!  SWMBO was able to sit in the server room
and choose what she wanted to listen to.  She was very impressed.

What really amazed me was that there was no time delay what-so-ever between
the stereo in the kitchen and the one in the front room (hooked up to the
5.1 system).  I could wander from room to room without any change in the
beat, and with only a difference in the tone (different audio setups in each
room).

I tried to install my wireless card in the Fujitsu to make it even more
impressive (I use Snowcrash with WinAmp).  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a
suitable serial cable, device with IRDA, or IDE adapter.  I brought the
Fujitsu into work to install via IRDA with another laptop here, bu I forgot
the little figure-of-eight power cable, and of the 100-odd cables in the
server room, and the various devices in the office, *none* use that cable!
She'll have to wait until tomorrow to see that!

I've been testing a nifty win32 application someone wrote to control WinAmp
across the network and display artists, then albums, then tracks.  It's very
cool, but has a few bugs.  I'd like to point you all to it, but the author
has requested it not be passed on at this stage as he does not want to be
supporting it.  If he does release it to the general public, I will point
you all to it.

Anyway, the main point of this message is that the Veronica is superb, and
whole-house-audio ranks up there with Tivo for SWMBO approval.

Andy

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor