RE: Re: [OT] Harry Potter DVD - Whats the deal ????

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [OT] Harry Potter DVD - Whats the deal ????
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 08:37:25 +0100

This whole 16:9 thing is a bit misleading IMO.

There is amamorphic widescreen which is what you *really* want for a
widescreen set as this fills the screen nicely if the transfer was
correct and should not become redundant. The 16:9 standard seems to vary
even within one studios releases and it rarely seems to be right. IMO
opinion anamorphic is the best balance between all the different ratios
as it will look good on almost any set without tripping them up.

The aspect of 2.35:1 is the classic "cinemascope" ratio AFAIK and is
therefore a legacy thing from the days when cinema was competing with
the TV in the home. Some people still prefer this ratio, including many
directors, so it will probably be around for a while to come.

What I have noticed on a couple of visits to the local multiplex of late
is that a few movies now seem to be shot in anamorphic therefore the
transfer to the home cinema environment should be easier and more
faithful to the movie you see in the Odeon in future.

A very good guide to all this can be found here :
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/index.html this is it
for dummies but is *very* clear and easy to read. As you will read here
there is a bewildering array of different logos and ways of saying the
same thing differently when it comes to aspects on a DVD.

As for the TV set not displaying the image correctly in a "wide" ratio,
this is entirely down to the smarts in the box 99/100. Most 16:9 sets
will try to fill the screen with the image whatever ratio the source is
presented in, how well it does it is another matter and, even allowing
for a very clever set, they can still be tripped up or confused by
certain images. Even my Philips set, which is usually very good at
sorting out the ratio, gets tripped up all the time but this is usually
down to the broadcast material being pants.

HTH

K.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor