RE: DIYHA Digital Jukebox

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: DIYHA Digital Jukebox
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 08:46:15 +0100

John, the Tags are stored in the same way as an MPEG frame, at the end of
the file.
These are *not* a proper part of the MPeg Layer III Spec, but a "fan
effort".

ID3v1 tags are small and not *very* useful, ID3v2 tags are much more
flexible, and annoying: they can (and do) contain images, text, lyrics, etc
etc etc.

sounds great, PITA if you download music from the net, and some script
kiddie has packed your MP3 track full of porn..

Ian.

Original Post:
As a side issue, how are the tags stored in the mp3 ? In the past I have
done some work with graphics files and some of them (IFF for example)
have a very flexible format that allows for loads of stuff to be stored
within in the file allowing other special programmes to read extra data
without effecting programmes which don't know about the extra features
stored in the file. I gather some "covert" data is often passed in this
way. I image stored on your computer could contain any data you want,
and casual or even not so casual inspection will reveal nothing as the
file scan will open the image and just skip past the unknown chunks
without complaining. Back to my point if mp3s worked like this you could
store any data XML, pictures etc.

John

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor