RE: [OT] Harry Potter DVD - Whats the deal ????

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Harry Potter DVD - Whats the deal ????
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 00:29:41 +0100

Phillip Harris wrote:
> My first generation Panasonic A350 never glitched or paused at a layer
> change but my Sony decks do ... Pain in the arse!

Ah the A350. I had one breifly. Well, the A310 actually (US prequel of the
first gen European A350) Great machine. Ended up swapping for an A110 when
it became faulty since I didn't need the in built decoder and didn't want
potentially get another of the faulty batch - amazing what the nice lady at
Panasonic US was prepared to tell me, possibly to try and compensate for an
International Tech Support call :). I *much* preferred the A310 remote and
RDSL buffer plus it's auto display DIM on play and other little extras it
had. The A110 (baby brother to the A310) pause is not too bad, but it is
not
as smooth, more of a hiccup than a pause so you only notice if there is a
picture on screen during the layer change.

Surprised that you had problems with the Sony. Their early players always
had a decent buffer (US models at least). Guess they dropped it during
their
cost reduction phase. I would have had one of the first gen Sony's had they
not been refusing to support DTS at the time!

Mark.