Re: Partition sizes on NT4 Server

On Fri, 17 May 2002 22:54:05 +0100, you wrote:

>>     NT4 server is a bit old now!  <grin>
>>

>Indeed.. although another word for that could be "mature" :-)
>
>Seriously though, it's horses for courses, - NT4 *is* still a pretty good,
>solid & reliable OS. (after 5 years of service packs!) If it does the job
>required then why not...

    Indeed.  I still use it myself.

>> >My aim is to have the following partitions
>> >C:\ 10Gig
>>
>>    Unless you have a *very* late NT4 installation disk you can't do
>>this.  This is a NT4 limitation.
>>

>Do you know something I don't?? - to my knowledge there has never been a
>build of the NT4 installer that could handle >4GB system partitions during
>install...
>
>The reason for this limitation is that the NT4 installer uses a mini-file
>system driver during the text-mode portion of setup to access the disks. The
>file-system driver that is used only supports the FAT filesystem. - That is
>why NT4 always installs a FAT partition *even* when you select to format an
>NTFS partition during installation, and then converts it once the text-mode
>portion of setup is complete.

    This is my understanding.  It is a FAT16 fs that is used.  And
FAT16 is limited to 2Gb partitions.  NT4 had a 'kludge' that used
larger cluster sizes, so could manage a 4Gb system partition.

   Q197667 on the Microsoft KB has a patch proceedure that allows the
system partition to be up to 7.8Gb.

   After the install you could use NTFS to partition larger non-system
drives of course.

   I'm *told* that very late NT4 install disks had a patch to enable
them to install on partitions larger than 8Gb, but I've never seen
such a beast myself.

   Regards,
          Harry.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor