RE: RE: Bulk Buy of tivo bits was TurboNet Install

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: RE: Bulk Buy of tivo bits was TurboNet Install
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 16:43:24 +0100

If you were bringing in one, then it would almost certainly be within your = personal allowance.

In the same way that you have a duty free allowance of booze and fags, you = have an allowance of "other stuff", in pounds. This only applies = if it is you physically flying/sailing/driving into the country. For import= s by mail order, there is a _very_ low limit that's duty free, of the order= of a single DVD-price, so this would be over it.

If you were bringing in several, and declared them, then you would get char= ged, _probably_ 10% duty + 17.5% VAT. The duty rate I can't be certain on, = but 10% is normal for "electronic equipment with the capability to rec= ord." The 2% rate we used for Rios is on the basis that the Rios have = no recording capability, and there's a lower rate of 2% for such kit.

If you were bringing in several, and just walked through the green channel,= then the best that can happen is you save some money. The worst that can h= appen is that the goods are confiscated, and you're locked up.

Duty and VAT are still paid on import of second-hand goods, (but on the sec= ond-hand value, not the new value...)

Regards,

Mark