Re: What's the cheapest X10 generating device with PC interface?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: What's the cheapest X10 generating device with PC interface?
  • From: "graham_howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 12:01:02 -0000

This is fantastic, a thread on ukha_d about HomeAutomator that has
not been kicked off by me! Unfortunately I had to do some stupid work
and so couldn't join in as it was happening.

Anyway, my take is that CM12U is probably the cheapest computer
controlled device for issuing X10, it is certainly the most readily
obtainable one. HomeAutomator is, at the moment, only a web front end
and so can not do any scheduling. However Andy and I have already
talked about the possibility of having desktop applications using the
same interfaces he develops to control stuff without the web
interface.

In fact we have both knocked up little scripts to do just that as it
can be quicker than writing a new asp page if you want to test
something. Now of course, if you have a little scriptlet, there is
nothing to stop you using windows own scheduler to run it at a
particular time. So in a roundabout way we could have scheduled
macros, though it would be pretty crude, almost immediately.

But, as Nik has pointed out, our first priority is putting together a
download so that you can all have a play. Andy does have some more
stuff to do on his HVC (the link to HomeVision software) but once
that is finished it is looking very likley that the CM12U interface
would be the next project. If anyone has any experience or ideas on
how to control CM12U from VB then I'm sure that Andy would love to
hear from you.

My own personal interest will remain with the web front end because I
am fortunate enough to have HomeVision for scheduling macros and you
just can't beat a PC-independent device for reliability. But we will
actively encourage others to come up with clever ways of using the
software, including developing non-web applications. So if you have
an interest in this stuff, you should join the HomeAutomator group
and start talking about it.

Regards

Graham

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@e...> wrote:
> Nik,

> Sorry - I wasn't saying that Macros couldn't be done in Home
Automator.

> The point I was trying to make that, as I understand it, events in
H.A. can ONLY be triggered by web-clicks.

> It isn't possible, say, to write a HomeAutomator event that
automatically happens at 7am every morning, or triggers because an X-
10 event is received.

> M.

I agree), and his next project will be support for CM12U interface.
Of course, he'll first try to bring current version to some decent
level before releasing it. I suppose that at some point it will start
supporting macros and scheduled events, because there's no point
having it just to turn on or off particular lights. In fact, it
already supports simple version of macros, because he was able to
send multiple X10 commands with one click, although to the same
device.
> I think it shouldn't be a problem to create macros, when all the
rest is working.
> Nik

the house. You'd still need some other software to do that. You may
find that the software supplied with a CM12U is enough for you... but
it isn't for many, which is why so many of the non-Homevision users
use HomeSeer.

> It's not clear, yet, how easy interoperability between HomeSeer and
HomeAutomator is going to be????

> M.

what's the cheapest device that can generate X10 commands and have an
interface to PC.
> Is it CM12U?
> Home Vision is a bit too expensive for me at the moment, and I
suppose for many of the UK_HA-ers. On the meeting I found that only 8-
9 people out of 50-ish have HomeVision. CM12 everyone can afford and
Home Automator as well :-). So is it then a winning combination?
> Also, if I want to develop such a device, will I have to pay any
licencing fees for using X10 protocol if it's patented?
> Regards,
> Nik

> Post message: ukha_d@y...
> Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@y...

__
> This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs
SkyScan
> service. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service
working
> around the clock, around the globe, visit http://www.messagelabs.com

__

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17
05041992:HM/A=1046314/R=1/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3225>

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17
05041992:HM/A=1046314/R=2/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3225>

> Height:         4  5  6  7 ft  0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10
11in
> Weight:
> Sex:         F  M
>
>   <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupmail/S=1705041992:HM/A=104631
4/rand=929207432>