RE: Garden automation

> Regarding running cat5 outside, I know this has been mentioned
> before, but
> a quick yahoo search of archives didn't find it.
> Is there special outside cat5 cable? As I want to run some to a
> summerhouse.

Try www.ukha-archive.com - much better.

The main problem will be UV degradation of the cable jacket, assuming you
can safely run it in the first instance.

If I were doing this, I'd dig an 18" trench, put 2" of gravel at the bottom
(for drainage), and lay a couple of runs of 40mm waste pipe (the solvent
weld type).  Use one run for SWA mains cable, and the other for CAT5/LV.
You may be able to 'borrow' some tape from a friendly utility worker to lay
on top of the ducts - "CAUTION ELECTRIC CABLE BELOW" as it's only available
on 365m reels for 40 quid (well, from RS stock no.391-968).

> Also to run mains to a pond for pump and lights and on to summerhouse and
> on to more lights....should I run a ring or a spur mains.
> I guess it may have to do with total power required?

How far is the pond/summerhouse from the consumer unit?  This will dictate
the size of cable that you will need to lay.  Typically 2.5 sqmm will be OK
on a radial spur.  This should be protected by a 16A MCB and should have RCD
protection.  If you whole house is RCD protected then you can just use a 16A
MCB - but be aware that a fault on the garden circuit will plunge your whole
house into darkness.

Many newer homes seem to have split load consumer units these days - and if
this is your case then I would recommend taking the supply from the non-RCD
protected side, and using a 16A RCBO device (RS 425-3696) for protection.
This would mean that a fault on the garden curcuit will only trip the RCBO
device, not the rest of the house.

<disclaimer>
Of course, the information I've given here is to the best of my knowledge.
Before using it, please check with the current IEE regulations to ensure
that what you are doing is correct and safe.

The exact details will also depend on you circumstances - I've just outlined
a couple of points to get you started - I don't for instance know how or
where you intend to connect the pond devices.
</disclaimer>

James H

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor