RE: X10-to-Infrared, for controlling your entertainment system

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X10-to-Infrared, for controlling your entertainment system
  • From: "Robert Welsh" <bob-ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:17:35 +0100

Hi,

It's a fairly straightforward (and I'd assume common) multi-room audio
problem.

Problem:
- Amp in one room (A), speakers in another room (B) - how do I control
the volume from the room with the speakers ?

Option 1:
- Inline speaker volume control in the room (B)

Option 2:
- Use a pair of Powermids, one in (A), one in (B), and an IR remote
control

Option 3:
- Use a pair of Powermids, one in Node0, one in (A), but how to get
signal from (B) to Node0 ?? Hence, I'm thinking X10 and Homeseer

I don't like (2) because it limits my solution to this one problem with
these 2 rooms.
I like (3) because it gives me more future use for IR distribution with
addition Powermids, and also means I can use the IR system for more than
just my multi-room audio (eg window blind control [IR driven] from
Homeseer).

Obviously I can use X10 to signal to Homeseer, but I need a way to get
Homeseer to issue the appropriate IR for the Powermid to pick up. Hence
PCBlastIR, or RedRat.

Incidentally when I was pre-wiring the house for multi-room audio, I had
the foresight to lay in some STP Cat5 between the amp and each of the
rooms being served by the amp [though not all the Cat5 I wanted down due
to time restrictions, sadly]....but I've not discovered a best use for
that....maybe if I worked on that plan I could come up with some far
better than (3). Another thought I've just had is that I'm becoming
concerned about the delay between button press in room (B) and hearing
the difference in Room (B). After all the # of transforms is quite
horrible....

Of course the whole thing is being done on the size of budget mostly
often linked with your average Scotsman (of which I am one, in case
anyone's thinking "Bloody cheek !") ;-)

Robert

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor