RE: BTInternet does it again !!!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: BTInternet does it again !!!
  • From: "KF" <ignotis@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:51:00 +0100

If BT performed such a good job, why were they losing customers so quickly<= BR> that they repeatedly ran 'Come back to us, you know it makes sense' adverts=
ad nauseam, 'all for only =A3x.xx'? BT have restricted every field of the market they have entered and made moves to stifle competition at every
attempt - fair enough, you may say, it's running a business.
I have used Dial-up, ISDN2e and am now on TW broadband. When with BT I aske= d
for a second phone line; the response was laughable, quoting several weeks<= BR> delay, followed, two days after the enquiry, by a letter from BT claiming complaints had been made against my (non-existent) number for nuisance
dialling by my (non-existent) fax machine! When I had ISDN installed, the sheer incompetence of the BT machine left me breathless, I chased them for = 5
weeks before a successful install.
I contacted TW for a phone line (I already had cable TV installed because<= BR> of poor local reception problems). The line was in and working 24 hours
later. Broadband was also installed later, within a very reasonable time an= d
on the specified date.

BT have previously generally restricted ISDN access for years by charging sky-high installation and monthly charges, their approach seeming to be to<= BR> milk the customers for as much as possible until competition /legislation forces a change of tack. Their business philosophy  has not changed, o= nly
the focus is now on broadband.

To return from my meanderings, If BT are changing the conditions for
unmetered access, it's down to one of two reasons:
a) Incompetence -  They didn't think the business model through proper= ly and
have been caught short.
b) Sneering mendacity -   Grab the suckers first, then squeeze. S= queeze too
far and lose customers. Drop price a little, run a disagreeably patronising=
advertising campaign, 'Come back to us...'  (Repeat as necessary)

The cynic in me rates it as 80% (b), 20% (a).

As you've no doubt guessed, I'm no BT fan (and somehow I don't feel
lonely...)

  Keith Flanagan

Chorley, Lancs