RE: BTInternet does it again !!!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: BTInternet does it again !!!
  • From: "Lee" <lee@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 00:37:58 +0100

>I never said it was or should be free ... I an happy to pay a reasonabl= e
>price for a service such as that that I was on with V21 which offered >unmetered access. When they went to 8 hours a day I would have been
>happy to have paid 3 x my subscription for 24 hour access even though I=
>don't use 24 hours access each day - I just dislike a spurt of heavy >useage blocking me from the web! Going from =A39.99 to =A3109 a month t= hough
>was taking the piss!

=A312/month for all the access you can get - it may as well be free!
They all used to offer unlimited unmetered use, before people started
talking the p!ss. But there's no going back now. BT would rather
have everyone on ADSL paying =A329/month and no hogging the sockets.

>Yup ... I can pull as much through my little 64k ISDN line in a day as<= BR> >you guys can with always on ADSL services in the same time ... Who is >going to make the biggest demands on bandwidth there? Give me the same<= BR> >deal ... always on access on my ISDN line for =A330 a month. I'm only >using one set of copper between my house and the exchange same as the >ADSL boys so I'm not tying up any more lines and I'm using a tenth of >the possible bandwidth.

No, but you can still make a good dent for 1/3 the outlay.
Even if you don't use the bandwidth you're still tying up sockets
at the exchange - ADSL doesn't, the copper is irrelevant.
ADSL doesn't need the sockets, that's why it's 24x7 and don't forget
up until the 1st April we were paying =A340+/month for it!

>Maybe I was one of the "problem causers" but I've tried to fi= nd an
>always on ISDN service that isn't business rates and I can't find one
I dare say you won't either. As I said before BT want everyone on ADSL,
they are not going to pay out to put more sockets into existing exchanges when it's basically a dying market, it makes more sense for them to spend the money on installing ADSL kit at the exchanges. If the =A312/month (=A31= 4 in
some places) goes up much more it's going to get start touching the
=A323/month that the likes of Pipex are charging for ADSL, so most people will pay the extra and go ADSL.

That leaves the socket for the 1p/min crowd who are light net users, and the ISPs/BT/Ignite are happy. Then the entire UK net will grind to a halt as there isn't enough backbone bandwidth to support all the P2P file
swapping
and Ignite will impose download limits and we can all moan about that and reminisce about the 'good old days' when 50:1 DSLAM ratios didn't weren't a problem as you were the only user at the exchange and could download MP3s=
as fast as 60K/sec instead of 5K/sec due to the contention!

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D"Click
3D""

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk