Just back from "Orange at Home"

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Just back from "Orange at Home"
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 22:05:11 +0100

I was invited by a friend to attend a presentation on the "Orange at Home" house tonight, hosted by the IEE. It was very interesting indeed.  Some points and quotes as I remember them...

"Home Automation isn't the killer app"

"Just because something is technologically feasible doesn't make it a commercial reality"
The example given was the automated bath.  There's no huge engineering effort required to do this, but the small benefits aren't worth the substantial expense.

Guinea Pig families hated the iPAQs they were given to control the house!!  They complained about battery life, screen size, having to use a stylus and losing them!  They left them in the bedroom then needed them in the lounge etc.  They have found web tablets more acceptable as they stay in each room, usually on a dock.

They showed a picture of their Node Zero.  It has FOUR 42U 19" racks!  They said the vast majority of this rack space was taken up with analogue sources and switching them.  While the ability to play any entertainment source in any room was regarded as one of the best things about the house by the families, Orange say that they see the future in distributing Audio and Video in the digital domain from hard drives using streaming technology.

They quoted that <5% of houses will be new builds by 2010!  This makes the HA market 95% retro fit.  They see wireless technology reducing the need for cabling.

I asked about occupancy detection.  They said they'd toyed with the idea of getting people to wear a badge type device but reckoned this was a non-started.

It's obvious Orange are looking to distil home automation down to the bits that are affordable and will appeal the mass market.  As a group we are probably at the other end of the scale though.  They did mention certain websites where people had done fantastic and complicated things "mainly with X10 which is a cheap power line technology" :)

Interestingly one of the items mentioned that was a shining example of well implemented easy to use technology was TiVo!  In a room full of Electrical Engineer (and university students) it was obvious that most of them had no idea what TiVo is or does.

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm just typing this as I remember it.

M.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!