RE: Splitting Inputs

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Splitting Inputs
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 10:38:51 +0100

    Hi Rob,

        Are your amps , pre-amps as well ? If so and they have a tape output then you may have an easy workable solution. Just feed the tape output of one into an unused input on the other and visa versa. Then any source on either amp can be played through the speakers. Some clever amps even have a source selection for the tape output that is independent of the source actually playing which would be ideal, giving you multi zone effectively. If you have one pre-amp and two amps this second facility might work well for you too although you might not have volume control of the tape output.

        Alternatively there are some IR switchable analogue source selectors around at good prices (circa £35)- try Keene or Lektropak - I am not sure of the quality though. Switching digital sources is more complex - Nirvis used to do one called the DXS, there are a couple more I will dig out if this is of interest. There are some cheap and cheerful 'Y' splitters (passive) available - they tend to mess the audio levels up because they don't match the impedances correctly but they do work. You just get lower volume and poss. some effects on top end frequency response. Haven't seen a low cost, multi channel active splitter but I am sure they exist.

    Kevin