Re: X10 Home Automation Servlet for TINI

Actually, it'll run quite happily on a normal JVM - the server has a
'pure' mode - type 'ant pure' in the main TiniHTTPServer directory to run
it on a PC. You could probably take my servlet and plug it into a standard
servlet container such as Tomcat, but that might take a wee bit of work.
You also need to make sure you have the EmbeddedGateway running on the PC,
and change the TiniHTTPServer config file to point to where your
EmbeddedGateway is running.

I was hoping to add some TINI specific stuff, such as using the OneWire
sensors to trigger X10 events - this would make the system pretty useful.
However, you can get the OneWire API to work under any JVM, so I'm
guessing I could still keep it generic.

There are so many changes that need to be made to my code.. of course, I'm
my own harshest critic. ;)

Hope you enjoy looking through the code - Jesse Peterson's X10 classes are
excellent, and make it rather easy to get an X10 implementation working.
Download his stuff from his website and play with some of his examples,
particularly "SendX10", which is a simple implementation allowing you to
connect to a socket and type in commands, and have the controller execute
those commands.

Hope this helps.. feel free to ask if you have any further questions. :)

~Gordon

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Stuart Grimshaw wrote:

> It's funny how coincidences happen.
>
> I was looking atwriting a Java based HA controller, to familiarise myself
> with Java, then you go & postthis :-)
>
> How heavily customised is it? Will it run on a normal JavaVM or does it
> actually need a Tini?
>
> On Wednesday 08 May 2002 19:35 pm, Gordon Christie wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > As promised, I am writing with details of my honours project, "A Prototype
> > Home Automation System". This includes the full source, with my
> > modifications to Jesse Peterson's X10 classes and a copy of David
> > MacMahon's TiniHTTPServer version 0.17, which I used for the servlet
> > functionality.
> >
> > The source can be found at:
> >
> > http://www.percible.com/stuff/release.zip
> >
> > and my project report, which details a little about my project, can be
> > found at:
> >
> > http://www.percible.com/stuff/Final%20Report.pdf
> >
> > Many thanks to both David MacMahon and Jesse Peterson for producing such
> > useful code for my purposes. Please let me know if I am treading on
> > anyone's toes, or violating any licenses by distributing modified versions
> > of your software - this is a prototype for a university project, not an
> > attempt to steal code and claim it as my own...
> >
> > If anyone requires help to make this work, or has any questions or
> > queries, please do not hesitate to ask.
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > ~Gordon Christie
> > me@xxxxxxx > >