RE: Cheap Dell badged Lucent PCMCIA 802.11b cards

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Cheap Dell badged Lucent PCMCIA 802.11b cards
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 16:37:59 +0100

> I got my card through today - its an orinoco gold badged as a
> dell 1150

The problem with the badged cards is when you mix with original orinoco
cards, the drivers are different. The cards are identical to look at
(they are made in the same factory) but if you install a orinoco driver
on your pc it will not then work with a badged card.

I understand that this was done to allow for different branding allowing
two different pricing structures. You may be lucky in that DELL may have
done a deal to get the guniuine card/ drivers. The Orinoco rep showed me
two cards which looked exactly the same, works in one laptop but not in
one with the orinoco drivers.

Bottom line, if you are never likley to come across a mixed enviroment
then there is nothing to worry about, and you may as well get the
cheeper card (the hardware performance is exactly the same). On the
otherhand if you may end up swaping cards, I would stay with the orinoco
(you also get the benefit of very good driver support)

If you want to email me the driver (off list), I can tell if it is a
Orinoco one, in which case you will have no problem in interchanging
cards later.

> Installed on fuji - had to download the win95 driver from
> dell then installed cl_mgr from the dell supplied CD
>
> Haven't had chance to test it yet - ran netstumbler but
> nothing around here. Have to wait until I get home to test
> against something
>
> Nick.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor