RE: I'm an arrogant sod with a beemer (was Symantec - Virus Warning Bulletin)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: I'm an arrogant sod with a beemer (was Symantec - Virus Warning Bulletin)
  • From: "Brian Reynolds" <brian.g.reynolds@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 12:08:55 +0100

I think I became a better driver after gaining my pilots licence.....

When flying, if you sit still in the cockpit you will never see the
aircraft that hits you coming from the frontal area, something to do
with the brain not registering a small dot in one place getting bigger,
so they teach you to always move your body and head and have a good look around.

They also teach you to form a mental picture of where everything is
relative to your position in the sky and on the ground, this is
something I always try to do when driving and get worried when a car
turns off and I do not notice, I always then wonder what else did I not
notice.....

Since this I always have a bloody good look whilst driving, not just in
my excellent rear view mirrors but also over my shoulder as best I can
bearing in mind I drive a van.

I saw a good notice on a lorry once saying "if you can not see my
mirrors I can not see you" how right is that? I have known many a
motorbike disappear from my view by getting too close to my rear, and
some small cars!

I have been driving 22 years and have not yet been involved in a crash
although as the roads become more congested things get closer and closer plus I am getting older.....

For the past 3 years the locals have been sitting next to the B645
noting all the motorbike number plate's (not sure if that is legal?)  = as
the B645 is a known good racing road! I have had many a run in with
these nutters whilst out on my pushbike and in my van/car. They overtake anywhere, solid white lines, hidden dips etc. I have seen quite a few in ditches over the years.

I used to be an advocate of upping the speed limit but I do not think
the general public could cope with it. What I would like to see is a
massive crack down on the idiots, young and old, and have a fine as a
percentage of their salary, controversial I know, but a =A350, or whatever<= BR> it is, is a lot of money to me but to a rich kid it is an evening out.

I also think (maybe) that they should change the motorway lane rules as
I often "undertake" when someone will not move out of the way as = I
regard going straight MUCH safer than crossing many lanes only to cross
them again to get back into which ever lane I can use. The chances of me seeing a car come up behind me when executing this type of multi lane
manoeuvre is quite high, I have not yet had a problem with this but the
potential is always there.

Lastly, I always find if I do cockup apologise to the other driver, it
is amazing how quick you can cool down a situation by admitting you
error'd! always possible I find when driving a van in an unfamiliar
city!

Like someone said there will always be idiots, I'm not perfect, but I do get very annoyed when someone tries to kill me!