Nicam modulation (or not) (OT)

  • Subject: Nicam modulation (or not) (OT)
  • From: "Nick Broughton" <mail@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 22:53:29 +0100

This is something of a follow on from the KAT5 v's coax distribution thread
that we had a week or two ago.  Keiths summary, as ever was brilliant, but
it's ocurred to me this evening that it doesn't answer a question that has
niggled for some time.

In my experience if you record a Nicam broadcast on a mono VCR (OK I know we
are talking about stone age equipment, but it's the technical aspect that
bothers me), and then replay it to a Nicam TV, why don't you get stereo?

I believe that Nicam is modulated onto the 'normal' audio carrier.  Nicam
modulation is expensive so VCR's don't do it, but if the Nicam was never
demodulated, why isn't it the original modulated signal recorded and passed
to the TV?

As I'm writing something else ocurrs to me.  Even a Nicam VCR could record
audio before decoding it, but again in my experience they only playback mono
if connected via RF, you need to connect via something 'better' to get
stereo.

What's wrong?  My experience or my logic?

Nick

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor