RE: [OT] TiVo Upgrade / Linux Help Wanted

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] TiVo Upgrade / Linux Help Wanted
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 11:13:59 +0100

Graham,

    Welcome to the unknown - it is for me too so I am finding my way around. Had quite a bit of help along the way but I have it going. I'm not knowledgeable enough to talk you through it but here are some pointers to move you along perhaps. I installed a TurboNet however rather than a TivoNet.

    . First obvious question would be can you ping your Tivo now on the network from a PC ? In most cases I think your network should have provided the Guide data update without any further mods - assuming you have the gateway address set up correctly (a DHCP server if appropriate) and there is an internet connection up. There was some talk about transparent proxies on the BBS's (with NTL and BlueYonder)  but I didn't have that problem and I am with NTL broadband.

    The LS, FTP and PING programs are not on the Tivo and you need to copy them onto the drive when you have it installed in the PC - you also need to make sure it goes into a directory with RW permissions and that the files have X (execute) permission. If you want to have them available everywhere I believe they have to be in a directory that has a path defined at startup. It's a bit of a minefield (I was helped through it BTW - many thanks to those concerned). The files for this are downloadable the 9th Tee website. Having them on your Tivo is really essential particularly ls and the ftp program. You don't need the ping program as long as things are working but as your network connection hasn't, it would be great to have it there so you can check your Tivo can see the internet. BTW - very few directories on the Tivo have RW access by default - in fact I think only one,  /var if I remember correctly - I believe most people create a /var/hack/ directory structure to put the new files in.

    Hope that helps a bit..

    Kevin