RE: OT: What OS

All the mentions of Linux and free/low cost etc reminds me that while Linux
is free to download, since one needs an OS to connect a computer to the
Internet to get hold of said "free" operating system plus
availability of a
CD Writer and an OS to run writer software, it suddenly has an intrinsic
cost. The alternative is to purchase a distro from a retailer at a similar
cost to the more popular and easier to administer MS OS offerings.

Cygwin is now getting quite advanced so it would be relatively simple for
someone to install an MS OS, add Cygwin and be able to see both operating
systems from an interface point of view while avoiding the intricacies of
Linux management.

I am now running KDE under Cygwin. Yeah it is pretty slow on my machine
when
compared to a native Linux implementation, but given the spec of PCs today
(mine is old and slow) given a high enough spec PC, it would likely not be
that different on a high spec system.

Referring back to an SQL discussion a short time ago, the postgresql
package
I mentioned runs well under Cygwin allowing Windows users to use a package
that is not acutally targetted to that OS. The way things are going, it
will
not be too long until I can retire my Linux machine for good while keeping
the best of both worlds.

Mark.