Beemers

Tim asked:

> And as for not liking Beemers may I ask why? How many 4 seater
> convertibles do you know that can outrun a Porsche 911 on the track? And
> cost 20 grand less I might add? Even Mark and I agree on what a fabulous
> car it is. And how often does that happen?

Well, while Tim was actually talking about Mark McCall, I do want a ride in his M3 ;-)

While it's not a four seater, I draw your attention to the Morgan Aero 8... the looks are, shall we say, challenging, but the performance is storming.... but don't take my word for it... I'm now going to hand you over, by the magic of copy and paste, to Keith Ahlers, the UK's first "end user" Aero 8 owner (all previous cars were for the factory, or for dealer demonstrators).

Keith, I should point out, has won Class A of the Morgan Motor Series championship for the last 3-4 years, and is a bit of a car nut... He owns "a number of cars" :-)

*********************

I've covered three thousand miles in car G0038 since delivery last November.
At a notional average speed of 50 miles per hour that's some sixty hours in
the car, so I think we are getting to know each other.

Let's put the looks to one side for the time being.  What about the driving?

This car is phenomenal to drive.  I thought its handling on the road was
pretty good, but recently I have spent two days on the race track with the
car.  The handling is brilliant.  You can drive around Porsche 911RS on the
outside of corners.  Why?  Because the car is so light compared to other
"sports" cars and has so much tyre grip.  I've given several Porsche and
Ferrari drivers rides around the track recently and they cannot believe how
fast the car can brake and corner.  If it has a shortcoming it's that the
chassis and brakes are so good you could do with more power.  One day maybe!

Back to the real world.  For day to day use on the road, the car is
wonderful.  You climb in and it hugs you.  The deep sills and transmission
tunnel rise up around you.  All other Morgans I've driven you sit on the
seat and slide over the transmission tunnel in fast corners.  The Aero ride
is fairly soft but very comfortable and if needed, enormous reserves of
power and handling are available to you, if you want to blast away some guy
following you..........

So the Aero 8 as a driver's car rates 100%.

Now did you say it looked odd?  Well yes you're right, but that's not what
the general public think.  They love it.  I've never had a car that attracts
such favourable interest.  Next to the other Morgans at home it looks like
part of the family and next to my 1996 Porsche it looks more modern.

So there you have my views.  Don't criticise until you've tried it!  In due
course the market place will decide.

Best wishes, Keith.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor