Re: Hacking Tivo OSD

-----Original Message-----
From: "Justin" <justin@xxxxxxx>
To: "Ukha_D" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 11:12:31 +0100
Subject: [ukha_d] Hacking Tivo OSD

> I've been looking at this and reckon it could be a great way to have
> HS, HV
> etc display caller id, reminders etc on your TV. It doesn't get a lot
> of
> coverage on the AVS forum. A Goggle turns up some info but it is
> sketchy at
> best and assumes quite advanced knowledge of Linux (something I don't
> have!).
>
> While upgrading the hard drive last weekend I also hacked the unit so I
> could get a bash prompt using a terminal prog and a Pronto serial lead.
> I can get messages up on the screen by using the command line and
> passing a
> text file to text2osd, so it can be done, but how to make it useful?
>
> There is talk of a caller id server & client on the AVS forum which
> uses a
> network connection. You need a Linux box setup with a caller id modem
> though, so I can't see this working for us in the UK.
> IIRC the client has been done in Python and accepts info as a string
> from
> the server. I could probably write a server in VB to pass text to the
> Tivo
> client but don't know how to pull the client apart to see how it works.
>
> Has anyone here done anything along these lines?
> Any Linux guru's up for a challenge?
> I've got a Turbo net card on order but how about a null modem cable to
> pass
> data to the Tivo for OSD?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Justin.

What you want is not that difficult at all over serial or a network
connection (ppp over serial or ethernet). Serial - open serial connection
to tivo (Bash enabled!!) and send text2osd "Text to display"CR_LF.
Network - A little more complicated but simplisticly open a socket to
port 23 (telnet) and pass text2osd "Text to display"CR_LF. then in both
cases close the connection.

Vince

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor